Oral Awareness In Corporate Employees
This a second article of the series oral care & awareness for corporate employees. We did a short survey consisting of 05
- How often do you visit your dentist
- Have you ever taken dental treatment in
- How many time do you brush
- Are you aware of preventive dental treatment
What according to you is a big deterrent for dental treatment amongst:
- Lack of time
- Lack of awareness
All the questions were compulsory and required simple yes /no, or a sentence. The response obtained
- Almost only 20 % of the employees had previously visited
dentist. The main reason for visitwas Tooth pain .Veryfew visited for regular check ups
- Almost 95 % of the employees said that They brush only once and were also not aware of any best technique available for brushing.
- None of the
participantsaid that they were aware of preventive dental treatment. None of them also used adjunct oral hygiene aids like dental floss, water flosser andinter-dental brushes. However, most of them used commercially available mouth washesbut were unaware that alcohol based mouth washescan cause oral cancer when used for long term.
- Most of the employees were confused regarding the type of
tooth brushand tooth pasteone must use for daily brushing. Media commercials, friends recommendations, family preferences to herbal products were the main reason behind using a particular type of tooth paste. They were also not aware aboutthe benefits of using fluoridecontaining tooth pastes .
- For most of the participants, lack of oral awareness was the key
reason ,followed by fear of dental treatment ,cost and time for seeking dental care.
The above survey clearly points to lack of oral care education and awareness in our entire ecosystem of home, school, colleges, offices, and health care system. Though the number of dentists in recent times have increased and Indian